📸 PHOTOS of Castelbottaccio (CB) [Molise] – Italy

Castelbottaccio stands on a hill to the hydrographic left of the Biferno river, the most important in the province. From its highest point, Colle Iannone (717 meters above sea level), it is possible to see the surrounding landscape as far as the Abruzzo region and the sea and, on clear days, the Tremiti islands (about 90 km away). Among the countryside it is easy to find farms and huts, a clear reference to the peasant soul of the country. Furthermore, a few km away there is the Celano-Foggia route(sheep track), which joins the summer pastures in Abruzzo to the winter ones in Puglia

Victory Square
Initially known as the town hall square, it was so named in 1965, it is the social center of the town. Adjacent to the church of San Rocco. In the center of the square there is a fountain that portrays the symbol of the town, a barrel surmounted by the walls of the ‘civitas’. Over the years, work has been carried out to modify the original shape of the square, which now looks like in the photo.

318
Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie
It is the most important church in the town, a few steps from the baronial palace. The church belongs to the 10th century and has three naves. Despite its Norman origins, currently, after a series of important restorations, the whole body is of Baroque matrix. Along the two side aisles there are small cells where we find several statues. At the end of the left aisle there is an imposing wrought iron gate. There is an imposing square bell tower, where 4 bells are housed. The church preserves the three important statues of Saint Lucia (year 1841 – wooden sculpture by Crescenzo Ranallo di Oratino), of the Virgin of Grace (year 1694 – wooden sculpture by Giacomo Colombo) and of Saint Joseph (year 1780 – wooden sculpture by Silverio Giovannitti by Oratino).

330

 

332

 

10th august: Saint Lawrence (falling stars)

Spinello_Aretino_001

The night of San Lorenzo (10 August) is traditionally associated with the passage of the meteor shower of the Perseids, a phenomenon popularly and erroneously called shooting stars but also poetically tears of San Lorenzo, considered evocative of the burning coals on which the saint was martyred. Indeed, in those days, the Earth’s atmosphere is traversed by a much higher number of small meteors than normal. The phenomenon is particularly visible in our latitudes as the summer sky is often clear.

Shooting-stars

Lorenzo (in Latin: Laurentius; Huesca, 225 – Rome, August 10, 258) was one of the seven deacons of Rome, where he was martyred in 258 during the persecution desired by the Roman emperor Valerian in 257. The Catholic Church venerates him as a saint .

There is little information on the life of St. Lawrence, who in the past also enjoyed notable popular devotion. It is known that he was originally from Spain and more precisely from Osca, in Aragon, at the foot of the Pyrenees.

Still young, he was sent to Zaragoza to complete his humanities and theological studies; it was here that he met the future Pope Sixtus II. He taught in what was, at the time, one of the best known study centers in the city and, among those teachers, the future pope was one of the best known and most appreciated. A friendship and mutual esteem therefore began between teacher and pupil. Later both, following a very lively migratory flow at the time, left Spain to move to Rome.

When on 30 August 257 Sisto was elected bishop of Rome, he entrusted Lorenzo with the task of archdeacon, that is, of responsible for the charitable activities in the diocese of Rome, which benefited 1500 people including the poor and widows.

At the beginning of August 258 the Emperor Valerian had issued an edict, according to which all bishops, priests and deacons were to be put to death:

The edict was carried out immediately in Rome, at the time when Daciano was prefect of the city. Surprised while celebrating the Eucharist in the catacombs of Pretestato, Pope Sixtus II was killed on August 6 along with four of his deacons, including Innocent; four days later, on 10 August, it was Lorenzo’s turn, who was 33 years old. It is not certain whether he was burned with a grill set on fire.

📸 PHOTOS of Lucito (CB) [Molise] – Italy

317

Lucito is an Italian town of 655 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise.

The name of the town, Lucito, could derive from the Latin term lucus, which means “sacred wood”, or from the Latin name Lucius. According to others, it derives instead from “elceto” (or “saliceto”), vulgarly become “liceto” (or “saluceto”), and therefore “Luceto”.

The foundation of Lucito is traced back to the Lombard period. The town was a fiefdom of Gionata di Balbano in 1188, then passed to the Caracciolos and later to the Di Sangro. From the Di Sangro it passed to the Piscicelli, who due to debts were forced to auction off their fiefs. The fiefdom of Lucito was purchased in 1670 by the Neapolitan nobleman Francesco Capecelatro, former lord of Nevano, who thus became the Marquis of Lucito.

Church of San Nicola di Bari
It was built in the 14th century on the remains of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Santa Maria al Plasinium. With the earthquake of 1456 it suffered damage and the church was re-consecrated in Renaissance style in 1566.

In 1805 a new great earthquake shook Molise and the church was completely restored in 1897.

The merit of the neoclassical church is the frescoed chapel on the right with arches. The church is distributed in three naves. The bell tower belongs to the Renaissance and is decorated with an onion spire.

305

 

Capecelatro Palace
It was originally the medieval castle. The Capecelatro family bought the castle in 1655, transforming the structure into a baronial residence. The rectangular building has two lower floors and a noble one, with the ancient coats of arms attached to the exterior. The ramparts and the two access portals are preserved.

306

 

9th august 1173 – Construction work on the Tower of Pisa began.

torre

On 9 August 1173, work began on the tower of Pisa, one of the most famous symbols of Italy!

The slope is due to a subsidence of the underlying land which occurred in the early stages of construction.
The tower of Pisa (popularly the leaning tower and, in Pisa, the Tower) is the bell tower of the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, in the famous Piazza del Duomo of which it is the most famous monument due to the characteristic slope, symbol of Pisa and among the iconic symbols of Italy. It is a separate bell tower 57 meters high (58.36 meters considering the foundation plan) built over two centuries, between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries

The first phase of the works was interrupted in the middle of the third floor, due to the subsidence of the land on which the base of the bell tower stands. The softness of the ground, made up of normally consolidated soft clay, is the cause of the slope of the tower and, although to a lesser extent, of all the buildings in the square.

The works resumed in 1275 under the guidance of Giovanni di Simone and Giovanni Pisano, adding another three floors to the previous building. In an attempt to straighten the tower, the three added floors tend to curve away from the slope. The bell tower was completed in the middle of the following century, adding the belfry.

As was customary with lighthouses and buildings adjacent to the sea in general, the foundations were left to rest for a whole year. Some studies attribute the authorship of the project to the Pisan architect Diotisalvi, who was building the baptistery at the same time.

The similarities between the two buildings are in fact many, starting with the type of foundations. Others suggest Gherardi instead, while according to Vasari the works were started by Bonanno Pisano. Vasari’s thesis, considered without foundation, was instead considered valid especially after the discovery in the vicinity of the bell tower of a tombstone with the name of Bonanno, walled up in the atrium of the building;

📸 PHOTOS of Limosano (CB) [Molise] – Italy

Limosano is the main town in Molise used as the set of the 2013 film with Checco Zalone. In the story Checco takes his son Nicolò on vacation to his aunt in Limosano because he doesn’t have enough money for a luxurious trip. But staying with the stingy aunt turns out to be torture. In the film you can see the town from the provincial road, and its very distinct historic center with the church of Santa Maria Maggiore at the top, and on the right the facade of San Francesco, while Checco and his son climb the stairs to visit their uncle .

The release of the film sparked some controversy in Molise for the stereotypical way in which they were seen by Zalone in the story, such as the total absence of children in the country.

283

The oldest nucleus stands on the central part of the tufaceous hill of the historic center, while the more recent late Renaissance one developed at the foot of the Ducal Palace. Limosano has medieval origins, built around a castle founded by the Lombards, when it was part of the Gastaldato di Bojano, which later became the County of Molise in the 13th century.

281

 

280

Parish Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The church dates back to the 11th century, restored in the 15th century after an earthquake, and again heavily modified in the 18th century. The underground crypt remains original; the façade is very simple, characterized by a portal surmounted by a rectangular window. The portal has an architrave with Latin writing and the date of restoration of the church, in 1755; the plan of the building is rectangular with a single nave, laterally composed of a series of chapels bordered by round arches. The span near the entrance is formed by a gallery that preserves the wooden organ.
The presbytery which is located in an elevated position with respect to the area of ​​the faithful, preserves an altar in worked marble; on the right side there are access doors to the bell tower and the sacristy. On the opposite side there is a room that leads to an orthogonal chapel, characterized by Renaissance frescoes; this chapel is dedicated to the Rosary, seat of the homonymous Confraternity.

The bell tower of the church is on the right, with a rectangular turreted plan. One of its walls has an ogival semi-arch attesting to its medieval origin, remodeled in the eighteenth century. There are engraved allegorical symbols of the Sun and the Lamb. Below the level of the church there are rooms: one has a barrel roof and is positioned under the terrace in front of the facade; another is placed under the church, preserving the lockable floor, where some bishops are buried with the original medieval tombstones.

8th august: Saint Dominic

Fra_Angelico_St._Dominic

Saint Dominic (Spanish: Santo Domingo), also known as Dominic of Osma and Dominic of Caleruega, often called Dominic de Guzmán and Domingo Félix de Guzmán ; 8 August 1170 – 6 August 1221), was a Castilian Catholic priest and founder of the Dominican Order. Dominic is the patron saint of astronomers.

According to Guiraud, Dominic abstained from meat, “observed stated fasts and periods of silence”, “selected the worst accommodations and the meanest clothes”, and “never allowed himself the luxury of a bed”. “When travelling, he beguiled the journey with spiritual instruction and prayers”. Guiraud also states that Dominic frequently traveled barefoot and that “rain and other discomforts elicited from his lips nothing but praises to God”.

📷 PHOTOS of Sant’Angelo Limosano

In my opinion one of the most beautiful towns in Molise. According to some sources, it is the birthplace of the only Molise pope: CelestinoV. The photos may not make you understand the beauty of this village but the church of Maria Assunta, located in the highest and most panoramic place, can shiver. It makes you feel like you are on top of the clouds, having a landscape from above.

302

The village developed as a fief of the old diocese of Limosano in the 11th century. It belonged until 1477 to the Molise center of Montagano (seat of the Badia di Faifoli), and then passed to Gerardo di Appiano.

Between the 17th and 18th centuries it was owned by the Carafa and Antellis families.

286288

They are fortifications used as access walls, for the path to the parish church. They unfold in three levels, decorated with arches.

Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo
The church was founded in the thirteenth century as a chapel dedicated to Pietro da Morrone, it was in fact known as San Pietro Celestino. Replaced in Baroque form in 1695, the church has kept a beautiful medieval wooden tabernacle. Outside there is still a part of medieval masonry with a Latin inscription.

Being the town located at 894 meters above sea level, it can boast many panoramic points, from which to see much of the Molise area because the fortress on which the town is located is the highest point in the whole surrounding area.

296

7th august 1420: Construction of Brunelleschi’s Dome in Florence began

Il_Duomo_Florence_Italy

Brunelleschi’s dome is the roof of the cruise of the Florence Cathedral; at the time of construction it was the largest dome in the world and still remains the largest masonry dome ever built (the maximum diameter of the internal dome is 45.5 meters, while that of the outside is 54.8). Thanks to the fundamental importance it had for the subsequent development of architecture and the modern conception of building, it is still considered by some to be the most important architectural work ever built in Europe since Roman times.

Its size prevented the traditional construction method with the aid of ribs, causing many hypotheses to be formulated on the construction technique used.

The drum, of imperfect octagonal shape, on which the dome was supposed to rest, measured about 45 meters wide on the largest diagonal and was 54 meters high. These dimensions were considerably larger than originally predicted. The reasons for this increase, which led the size of the building to exceed those of the dome of the Pantheon, until then the largest dome in the world, so much so that legend considered it the work of the devil, are to be found not so much in the desire for primacy, but in the need to reinforce the dome drum as much as possible. The drum had in fact been raised with respect to the original model by means of a plane in which eight large eyes open, which favored the illumination of the cathedral’s apse triconco. With this expedient the dome’s tax plane was also raised above all the vaults built up until then. The very high vaults of the cathedral of Beauvais in France, which for their boldness collapsed shortly after their construction, reached “only” 48 meters in height. But the irregular octagonal shaped drum also created the main obstacle to the erection of the dome. Brunelleschi calculated every detail with precision, from the inclination of the walls to the arrangement of the herringbone bricks. In this way the dome was able to support itself, without resting on the traditional sulphurous wooden scaffolding.

📷 PHOTOS of Fossalto (CB) [MOLISE] – Italy

For those who live in this region will certainly know this country for its famous ice cream shop. In fact, it is well known that the Gelateria di Fossalto makes the best ice cream in the region.

Fossalto is an Italian town of 1 251 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise, which was the birthplace of the poet Eugenio Cirese and Giuseppe Folchi, a futurist intellectual.
It is located north-west of the capital.
Built as a medieval village, the town was divided into two nuclei: Fossaceca and Castelluccio, dependent on Limosano. The center was fortified by towers and walls, dismantled in the 18th century, when the fiefdom belonged to the Di Capua and Mascione families.

 

Church of San Antonio of Padua
Baroque church built with a single nave, with a longitudinal plan. Inside there is a painting of the Saint, dated 1660. The church has a bell tower from 1866 next to it.

258

 

269

 

6th august: Hiroshima Peace Memorial

800px-A-Bomb_Dome_close-up

The Peace Memorial (原 爆 ド ー ム Genbaku Dome ?, “Atomic Bomb Dome”) is a site belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1996 which is located in Hiroshima, Japan

The building, consisting of three floors and built with bricks and mortar, was designed by the Czech architect Jan Letzel and its construction was completed in April 1915. The building was intended to house the trade fair of the Hiroshima prefecture. It changed its name several times, but it always had purely commercial purposes.

On August 6, 1945, the nuclear explosion occurred a very short distance from the building, which was the closest structure among those that resisted the bomb. This construction remained in the same state in which it was located immediately after the atomic attack, and is now used as a warning in favor of the elimination of any nuclear arsenal and a symbol of hope and peace.