📸 PHOTOS of Lucito (CB) [Molise] – Italy

317

Lucito is an Italian town of 655 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise.

The name of the town, Lucito, could derive from the Latin term lucus, which means “sacred wood”, or from the Latin name Lucius. According to others, it derives instead from “elceto” (or “saliceto”), vulgarly become “liceto” (or “saluceto”), and therefore “Luceto”.

The foundation of Lucito is traced back to the Lombard period. The town was a fiefdom of Gionata di Balbano in 1188, then passed to the Caracciolos and later to the Di Sangro. From the Di Sangro it passed to the Piscicelli, who due to debts were forced to auction off their fiefs. The fiefdom of Lucito was purchased in 1670 by the Neapolitan nobleman Francesco Capecelatro, former lord of Nevano, who thus became the Marquis of Lucito.

Church of San Nicola di Bari
It was built in the 14th century on the remains of a Benedictine monastery dedicated to Santa Maria al Plasinium. With the earthquake of 1456 it suffered damage and the church was re-consecrated in Renaissance style in 1566.

In 1805 a new great earthquake shook Molise and the church was completely restored in 1897.

The merit of the neoclassical church is the frescoed chapel on the right with arches. The church is distributed in three naves. The bell tower belongs to the Renaissance and is decorated with an onion spire.

305

 

Capecelatro Palace
It was originally the medieval castle. The Capecelatro family bought the castle in 1655, transforming the structure into a baronial residence. The rectangular building has two lower floors and a noble one, with the ancient coats of arms attached to the exterior. The ramparts and the two access portals are preserved.

306

 

9th august 1173 – Construction work on the Tower of Pisa began.

torre

On 9 August 1173, work began on the tower of Pisa, one of the most famous symbols of Italy!

The slope is due to a subsidence of the underlying land which occurred in the early stages of construction.
The tower of Pisa (popularly the leaning tower and, in Pisa, the Tower) is the bell tower of the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, in the famous Piazza del Duomo of which it is the most famous monument due to the characteristic slope, symbol of Pisa and among the iconic symbols of Italy. It is a separate bell tower 57 meters high (58.36 meters considering the foundation plan) built over two centuries, between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries

The first phase of the works was interrupted in the middle of the third floor, due to the subsidence of the land on which the base of the bell tower stands. The softness of the ground, made up of normally consolidated soft clay, is the cause of the slope of the tower and, although to a lesser extent, of all the buildings in the square.

The works resumed in 1275 under the guidance of Giovanni di Simone and Giovanni Pisano, adding another three floors to the previous building. In an attempt to straighten the tower, the three added floors tend to curve away from the slope. The bell tower was completed in the middle of the following century, adding the belfry.

As was customary with lighthouses and buildings adjacent to the sea in general, the foundations were left to rest for a whole year. Some studies attribute the authorship of the project to the Pisan architect Diotisalvi, who was building the baptistery at the same time.

The similarities between the two buildings are in fact many, starting with the type of foundations. Others suggest Gherardi instead, while according to Vasari the works were started by Bonanno Pisano. Vasari’s thesis, considered without foundation, was instead considered valid especially after the discovery in the vicinity of the bell tower of a tombstone with the name of Bonanno, walled up in the atrium of the building;

📸 PHOTOS of Limosano (CB) [Molise] – Italy

Limosano is the main town in Molise used as the set of the 2013 film with Checco Zalone. In the story Checco takes his son Nicolò on vacation to his aunt in Limosano because he doesn’t have enough money for a luxurious trip. But staying with the stingy aunt turns out to be torture. In the film you can see the town from the provincial road, and its very distinct historic center with the church of Santa Maria Maggiore at the top, and on the right the facade of San Francesco, while Checco and his son climb the stairs to visit their uncle .

The release of the film sparked some controversy in Molise for the stereotypical way in which they were seen by Zalone in the story, such as the total absence of children in the country.

283

The oldest nucleus stands on the central part of the tufaceous hill of the historic center, while the more recent late Renaissance one developed at the foot of the Ducal Palace. Limosano has medieval origins, built around a castle founded by the Lombards, when it was part of the Gastaldato di Bojano, which later became the County of Molise in the 13th century.

281

 

280

Parish Church of Santa Maria Maggiore
The church dates back to the 11th century, restored in the 15th century after an earthquake, and again heavily modified in the 18th century. The underground crypt remains original; the façade is very simple, characterized by a portal surmounted by a rectangular window. The portal has an architrave with Latin writing and the date of restoration of the church, in 1755; the plan of the building is rectangular with a single nave, laterally composed of a series of chapels bordered by round arches. The span near the entrance is formed by a gallery that preserves the wooden organ.
The presbytery which is located in an elevated position with respect to the area of ​​the faithful, preserves an altar in worked marble; on the right side there are access doors to the bell tower and the sacristy. On the opposite side there is a room that leads to an orthogonal chapel, characterized by Renaissance frescoes; this chapel is dedicated to the Rosary, seat of the homonymous Confraternity.

The bell tower of the church is on the right, with a rectangular turreted plan. One of its walls has an ogival semi-arch attesting to its medieval origin, remodeled in the eighteenth century. There are engraved allegorical symbols of the Sun and the Lamb. Below the level of the church there are rooms: one has a barrel roof and is positioned under the terrace in front of the facade; another is placed under the church, preserving the lockable floor, where some bishops are buried with the original medieval tombstones.

📷 PHOTOS of Sant’Angelo Limosano

In my opinion one of the most beautiful towns in Molise. According to some sources, it is the birthplace of the only Molise pope: CelestinoV. The photos may not make you understand the beauty of this village but the church of Maria Assunta, located in the highest and most panoramic place, can shiver. It makes you feel like you are on top of the clouds, having a landscape from above.

302

The village developed as a fief of the old diocese of Limosano in the 11th century. It belonged until 1477 to the Molise center of Montagano (seat of the Badia di Faifoli), and then passed to Gerardo di Appiano.

Between the 17th and 18th centuries it was owned by the Carafa and Antellis families.

286288

They are fortifications used as access walls, for the path to the parish church. They unfold in three levels, decorated with arches.

Church of Santa Maria Assunta in Cielo
The church was founded in the thirteenth century as a chapel dedicated to Pietro da Morrone, it was in fact known as San Pietro Celestino. Replaced in Baroque form in 1695, the church has kept a beautiful medieval wooden tabernacle. Outside there is still a part of medieval masonry with a Latin inscription.

Being the town located at 894 meters above sea level, it can boast many panoramic points, from which to see much of the Molise area because the fortress on which the town is located is the highest point in the whole surrounding area.

296

📷 PHOTOS of Fossalto (CB) [MOLISE] – Italy

For those who live in this region will certainly know this country for its famous ice cream shop. In fact, it is well known that the Gelateria di Fossalto makes the best ice cream in the region.

Fossalto is an Italian town of 1 251 inhabitants in the province of Campobasso, in Molise, which was the birthplace of the poet Eugenio Cirese and Giuseppe Folchi, a futurist intellectual.
It is located north-west of the capital.
Built as a medieval village, the town was divided into two nuclei: Fossaceca and Castelluccio, dependent on Limosano. The center was fortified by towers and walls, dismantled in the 18th century, when the fiefdom belonged to the Di Capua and Mascione families.

 

Church of San Antonio of Padua
Baroque church built with a single nave, with a longitudinal plan. Inside there is a painting of the Saint, dated 1660. The church has a bell tower from 1866 next to it.

258

 

269

 

6th august: Hiroshima Peace Memorial

800px-A-Bomb_Dome_close-up

The Peace Memorial (原 爆 ド ー ム Genbaku Dome ?, “Atomic Bomb Dome”) is a site belonging to the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1996 which is located in Hiroshima, Japan

The building, consisting of three floors and built with bricks and mortar, was designed by the Czech architect Jan Letzel and its construction was completed in April 1915. The building was intended to house the trade fair of the Hiroshima prefecture. It changed its name several times, but it always had purely commercial purposes.

On August 6, 1945, the nuclear explosion occurred a very short distance from the building, which was the closest structure among those that resisted the bomb. This construction remained in the same state in which it was located immediately after the atomic attack, and is now used as a warning in favor of the elimination of any nuclear arsenal and a symbol of hope and peace.

📷 Photos of Villaalfonsina (CH) – Abruzzo – ITALY

Villalfonsina is an Italian town of 911 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, part of the union of the communes of the Miracles.

The origins of Villalfonsina are uncertain and a source of discussion. However, some texts state that the town was founded in the 16th century by the feudal lord Alfonso Caracciolo prince of San Buono and baron of Casalbordino. Other sources assert instead that the country was founded by the Schiavoni who landed on the Osento river with makeshift vehicles, fled from the Balkan peninsula pushed by the Turkish advance in search of more hospitable lands. At that time the area was under the fief of the d’Avalos of Vasto who owned a palace surrounded by farmhouses of colonists and servants, for which the population was subjected to the service of his belongings. A trace of this settlement remains in the parish, which has a bulb-shaped bell tower, typical architecture of the eastern shore of the Adriatic.

230

 

3th august: #MondayMotivation

mondaymotivation

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today is Monday, August 3, the beginning of the week of fullsummer. The heat is torrid and the will to start again is missing, especially considering all the limitations caused by covid19. In this heat, wearing a mask is a real torture. Although in internal places it is not and can do without because it is compulsory, it makes the face sweat, as well as not allowing you to breathe well. There are many who also claim that the mask hurts because it produces carbon dioxide in the respiratory tract. Certainly for those who practice physical activity it is impossible to wear.

Leaving on Monday is always difficult. We can never find the right balance between the regularity of the set times with the freedom of the weekend. For this reason it is often a must to create a medium-term goal, a detachment, a holiday with which to disconnect from the world and create a horizon from the daily life of the schedule of commitments.

📷 PHOTOS of Casalbordino (CH) – Abruzzo – ITALY

Casalbordino is an Italian municipality of 5972 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, and is the seat of the union of the municipalities of the Miracles.

The name goes back to a leader of that period, Roberto Bordinus, who captained the garrison in defense of the monastery.

Casal, that is, a farmhouse, a small territory of dwellings that guarded the monastery, developed from an ancient tower, later became the fortified center, a fief of the D’Avalos.

221

 

 

The mother church of San Salvatore, the main church in the city center, whose first plant dates back to the 14th century. It has neoclassical features, although the interior retains the late Baroque appearance.

 

 

 
The sanctuary of the Madonna dei Miracoli, an important Theatine sanctuary, located north-east of Casalbordino in the suburbs, a destination for pilgrimages, since the period of the Marian apparition to the farmer Alessandro Muzii in the year 1576, when there was a terrible storm that destroyed the collected, except that of the villager, who prayed to Our Lady. The sanctuary was built over the first chapel in 1824, however being damaged by the Second World War, when the Benedictine monastery had already been built, it was redone again in the 1950s, finished in 1962, having a neo-Renaissance style. The historical sanctuary was immortalized by Gabriele D’Annunzio in the novel The Triumph of Death, which summarizes the events of the Marian apparition of 1576, and then describes the pilgrimage of wayfarers and wretches, in asking for thanks to the Madonna, under the gaze of the protagonists of the story Giorgio Aurispa and Ippolita Sanzio.

212

 

madonnadeimiracoli

 

 
The Lido (beach) di Casalbordino, equipped and popular seaside resort with a large sandy beach, is 7.5 km from the municipal capital and extends along the suggestive Costa dei Trabocchi, a very short distance from the spectacular rocky coast of the Marine Natural Reserve of Punta d’Erce ( or Punta Aderci), called in the area “the little Normandy”.

casab

📷 PHOTOS of Rocca San Giovanni (CH) [Abruzzo] – ITALY

Rocca San Giovanni is an Italian town of 2 301 inhabitants in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo, north-east of Lanciano. It is part of the Club of the most beautiful villages in Italy.

 

189

The maritime area of ​​Rocca San Giovanni, is rich in hamlets and seaside resorts, which make up the so-called Costa dei Trabocchi. The coast is characterized above all by the presence of ancient and modern overflows, wooden fishing machines.

The most interesting beaches of Rocca San Giovanni are: La Foce, Il Cavalluccio, Vallevò and Punta Punciosa, in addition to the countless “coves” with a fishy, ​​turquoise and transparent sea. They are considered among the most beautiful on the Costa dei Trabocchi.

171

188

 

 

 

In the hinterland, a few kilometers from the sea there is the real town. Located on a small hill in the midst of green bushes. The village is small but the whole historic center is kept in perfect condition, and almost all the houses are renovated and with painted plaster.

 

 

 

 

200

Church of San Matteo
It is located in Heroes’ Square. According to some reliable bibliographic sources, the original church was built inside the castrum of San Giovanni in Venere. The medieval building copies the abbey of San Giovanni in Venere in smaller sizes. The bell tower was added between the 14th and 15th centuries. In the eighteenth century the truss was replaced by ribbed vaults in the central nave and barrel vaults.

 

 

 

202

Town Hall
It was built between the late 60s and the 70s of the nineteenth century and restored in 1926. The building overlooking Piazza degli Eroi is square in the neo-medieval Lombard style. On the ground floor there is an arcade which is made up of three round arches. On the first floor three openings with round arch lead to the balcony with a perforated balustrade. On the sides there are two identical windows. The central part of the facade is slightly advanced compared to the rest of the building. The facade is completely made of square blocks of sandstone. Inside, an imposing staircase leads to the council chamber. Since 2004, a collection of contemporary art has been held inside that collects sculptures, paintings and engravings placed on the main internal staircase and in the council chamber.

 

 

 

208

Remains of walls and Torrione dei Filippini
The main ruins of the walls of the fortress are located in via abate Oderisio where there is the Torrione dei Filippini, characterized by a masonry, irregular ashlars and river pebbles, and an irregular circular system used as a dwelling. The walls date back to the Normans from which they were built in 1061. The walls, accessible from via IV Novembre or from alley Portico, are made of stone pebbles from the surroundings.